SpeakOut currently has the following position open:
Position: Speaker Representative
Location: California (work remotely)
Hours: Full-time - 40 hours per week, 9am-5pm PT, Monday-Friday
Reports to: Co-Directors
Compensation: $60,000 - 70,000 depending on experience
SpeakOut - The Institute for Democratic Education and Culture is a mission-driven speakers agency and education institute. SpeakOut encourages critical and imaginative thinking to address the major inequities of our day and transform a fractured world. We are dedicated to the advancement of education, racial and social justice, cultural literacy, leadership development, and activism.
Our network of speakers, artists, and strategic partners provide experiential learning opportunities through in-person and virtual lectures, presentations, workshops, film screenings, performances, consulting, and professional development. SpeakOut works with colleges, universities, public and independent K-12 schools, community and non-profit organizations, government agencies, and the private sector, promoting critical analysis, creativity, and innovative strategies for 21st century problem-solving.
We are looking for a skilled full-time staff person to join the SpeakOut family. Their primary work will be to coordinate speaker engagements. They will also collaborate on SpeakOut educational programs and participate in programmatic and strategic planning. SpeakOut is a small but mighty organization so an ideal candidate will be a strong leader and team-player, with experience in social and racial justice activism.
Please review the SpeakOut website before applying for this position to insure you are a good fit for this position and the organization.
• Coordinate speaker engagements – This includes:
• Ongoing communications via email, zoom, and telephone, acting as the liaison between speakers and the engagement contacts throughout the whole scheduling and planning process for an event
• Handling all paperwork essential to the booking process
• Building ongoing relationships with event contacts
• Meeting deadlines with the ability to multi-task and re-prioritize as needed
• Collaborate with staff members on other SpeakOut educational programs including E-courses, webinars, conferences, Summer Institute for Campus Faculty and Professional Staff, among others
• Participate in strategic and programmatic planning with other staff.
Skills and Qualifications Required
• Alignment with SpeakOut’s mission and vision
• Understanding of and active commitment to social and racial justice
• Ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse groups of people, speakers, and event sponsors
• Ability to work as part of a team, yet independently organize, plan, and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment
• Comfortable working remotely – even when not in a pandemic
• Experience in project management and/or event planning
• Good time-management and multitasking skills, able to meet deadlines, pay attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Excellent computer skills (MacOS systems)
• Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Maintain an understanding of current social and political realities
Qualifications not required, but a plus
• Knowledge of Filemaker database system, Microsoft Office, and/or WordPress
• Knowledge of or experience in the educational arena (colleges, universities, high schools - public and private), campus activities, or progressive student and academic organizations
• Experience in design, media, art, writing, or marketing
• Experience in fundraising and financial planning, organizational development, and leadership
Salary and Benefits
• Annual salary $70,000
• Comprehensive medical, dental, and acupuncture coverage
• Generous paid vacation and holidays
• 401(k) pension program
• A work environment that reflects the values of the society we are working to build
• A position that helps you strengthen a range of skills and supports your development as a leader and changemaker
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and three references to: [email protected]. No phone calls please.
People of color, LGBTQ+, women, immigrants, and formerly incarcerated people are strongly encouraged to apply.
SpeakOut will attempt to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical and mental limitations of qualified employees with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on SpeakOut’s operations. Please, advise us of any accommodations needed at the time of application.
Posted: March 2021 Position open until filled.